This is a link to David Hunt’s DYI very interesting project to build a GSM Phone based on a Raspberry Pi. The project can inspire to various implementations where GPRS may be needed, also for situations where you may need to run on battery.
Here is David’s run-down of component costs. Please be sure to check out his video demo as well.
- Raspberry Pi Model B – $40
- PiTFT Touchscreen 320×240 – $35
- 2500mAh LiPo battery – $15
- SIM900 GSM/GPRS module – $48
- DC-DC boost converter 3.3V – 5V 1A – $10
- Cables, connectors, switch, etc. – $10